Things You Should Know Around The Senior Center
Mission Statement and Guidelines:
The mission of the St. Joseph-Lincoln Senior Center is to serve as your anchor in the community. That is, that we are committed to providing a safe, friendly, and positive environment, that is intended for the enjoyment and recreation of adults, ages 60 and older.
Participation Guidelines are noted below and are posted throughout the Center. If you have any questions about these, please contact a staff member.
Do You Receive Our Newsletter?
Our newsletter is now available on this website in living color!! Just click on "The Anchor News". If you no longer want to receive our newsletter in the mail, please call the Center and ask us to stop sending it. This will reduce our time along with the printing and mailing costs.
Our monthly newsletter has everything you need to know about the upcoming month at the Senior Center at a glance -- Get Involved!! If you would like to be put on the list to receive the Anchor News Newsletter, please email, call or stop by the front desk to sign up. If you send an email to us about getting on the newsletter, we must have the following information to process your request: First and Last name; spouse's name; address, including any apartment number, city and zip; phone number; birthdate; and emergency contact person and phone number for that contact.
If you are heading to warmer climes, remember to call or stop by and have your newsletter stopped for the time you are gone. Our mailing program has a "stop mail" feature, so please remember to let us know when you will be leaving, and then when you return. The newsletter does not get forwarded and the Center has to pay any return postage. When you return, let us know and we can tag your record so you will be able to start receiving it again.
IF YOU MOVE:
Please advise us if you have a new address locally. The newsletter does not get forwarded and we pay for each one that is returned to us. If we don't have your new phone number to determine your address, we end up deleting you from the mailing list. Help us stay connected with you and advise us of any changes in your contact information. Thank you!!
Symphony Tickets for Seniors
Seniors can get $15 tickets by calling the Senior Center. You must sign up for EACH specific performance you wish to attend and you must call no later than 4:00 pm on the Tuesday before that performance to be included on the list. These discounted tickets do not apply during the Symphony's summer season.
No Smoking Policy:
The Senior Center has always been a smoke-free environment. The use of any tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and the possession or ingestion of illegal drugs or alcoholic beverage, is strictly prohibited in the building, or on the Center owned properties. With the inception of Michigan's Smoke Free Air Law, May 1, 2010, individuals in violation are subject to penalties.
Parking At the Center:
"You are Parked Illegally" notices will be placed on windshields of vehicles not properly parked at the Center. We have added additional handicapped spaces, so please use these if you are authorized to do so. Please do not park anywhere along the back fence line as this blocks traffic. The front entrance of the Center is for loading and unloading only so please do not park and leave your vehicle there, even if you are just "running in for something." In particular, the lined areas between handicapped spaces are not parking spots. These are provided for people to have room to get in and out of their vehicles. Please do not park in these lined areas!
Need a ride somewhere?
The Senior Center provides transportation for seniors 60 years of age and over.
This service is on a donation basis only
For more information, check out our Services Link
If you have any type of sniffles, cough, cold, or flu bug, Please Stay Home! Seniors are more susceptible to catching all types of illness. It doesn't matter how much we all dearly want each other to participate at the Center .... no one wants to catch the illness you have!
Age / Participation Policy:
The Center's programs are intended for those age 60 and older only. However, a spouse of someone age 60 or older can participate in Center activities even if he/she is not 60 yet. Watch for special events and programs that include all ages.
Severe Weather Policy:
We would like to make sure the everyone is aware that the Center does have emergency procedures. While at the Center if we are under a severe weather watch or warning, please cooperate with the direction of the staff if the need arises.
If the weather is bad, check the news and weather reports on local television and radio stations. If the St. Joseph Schools are closed due to weather, we are closed. If Benton Harbor schools are closed, there is no Senior Nutrition meal, even if the Center is open. Please keep in mind that driving conditions may be hazardous, and you may want to consider staying home. If you are prone to slipping or falling easily in icy conditions, please consider staying home. Please stay home if you do not feel safe.
If you are already at the Center, please be aware that the Center has emergency procedures to deal with severe weather such as summer storms and tornados. When we are under a severe weather watch or warning, the staff will direct people if the need arises.
Inclement weather also causes delays with our Transportation Department. We can not stress enough how important it is that safety must be the driver's top priority. When we are closed due to weather conditions, it is your responsibility to cancel your appointments. A major factor for safety issues requires that you keep your driveway and sidewalks cleared off. Not only is this for your personal safety, but also for that of the drivers. If at any time the driver feels they cannot get in and out of your driveway safely during the winter months due to snow/ice build up, we will call and inform you that we will not be attempting to stop due to safety issues. Please be sure to cancel your transportation appointments as soon as possible if you feel the weather is such that you do not want to go out.
If you are in doubt whether the Center is open or will close early due to the weather, please call the Center before leaving home. Watch TV channels 16 or 22, or tune in to your radio. If you reach the answering machine between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, the Center is closed.
Have you noticed the hand sanitizers installed around the Center? Please utilize them often, especially during cold and flu season. The less germs we spread around, the better for all of us. Let's keep everyone healthy and happy and coming to the Center!
For the enjoyment of all participants, the following behavioral guidelines will be strictly enforced:
1. We will provide a harassment-free environment. Unwelcomed comments, whether they be verbal, physical, or visual (writings, drawings, cartoons, photos) will not be tolerated. The staff, participants, and board members shall be free of harassment based on age, race, color, physical, or mental disability, national origin, religion, or sex. In addition, the policies of The Saint Joseph-Lincoln Senior Center (SJLS Center) will be uniformly enforced, without regard to the above-named classes.
2. Physical violence will result in immediate removal and permanently bar the participant from returning to the Center and engaging in Center programs, pursuant to the adopted policies of the SJLS Center.
3. To bring, or threaten to bring, weapons on the grounds of, or into the building of the Center will result in immediate removal and permanently bar the participant from returning to the Center and engaging in any Center program, pursuant to the adopted policy of the SJLS Center.
4. The proper authorities will be contacted for assistance when deemed prudent and/or necessary.
5. To promote the health and well-being of Center participants, the use of any tobacco products, and the possession or ingestion of illegal drugs or alcoholic beverages, is strictly prohibited in the building, or on the Center owned properties.
6. For both bus transportation and Center attendance, participants must be able to perform all of their activities of daily living (to include toileting themselves, feeding, and ambulation.) If a participant is not able to perform their own ADL's, they must be accompanied by someone who is willing to assist them in these tasks.
7. Center participants who have been deemed mentally incapacitated or are otherwise significantly cognitively impaired must be accompanied by a companion while on Center owned property. In addition, the SJLS Center should not be construed as a senior day care program, nor is it designed to take the place of professional senior healthcare services.
8. As many Center participants have breathing problems and/or allergies, we respectfully ask that participants refrain from the use of highly perfumed products, and that they pay particular attention to personal hygiene issues. Complaints received regarding odors/cleanliness will be discreetly addressed with the participant.
9. Due to allergies, phobias, and the increased fall risk associated with animals, Center participants are prohibited from bringing animals into the facility, with the exception of service animals and those animals that have been approved and invited as part of the Center's programming.
10. When an infraction of the guidelines occurs, it may result in temporary, indefinite, or permanent barring of a participant in Center activities. A participant shall be entitled to an opportunity to be heard by the Board, according to Board policies.
11. This list is not intended to be inclusive. All suspect behaviors will be given due consideration with the ultimate goal of providing for the care, safety, supervision, and protection of Center participants.
--revised September 1, 2015
Rider Guidelines & Reminders
The following points are to be observed by riders of the Senior Center Transportation, but should not be considered all encompassing. The Center reserves the right to assess each situation and make decisions based on the safety of the riders, drivers, and the protection of the Center's vehicles.
* The St. Joseph Lincoln Senior Center offers transportation, for individuals 60 years and older, between the city of St. Joseph, St. Joseph Township, Lincoln Township, and parts of Royalton Township (and elsewhere in certain situations which are addressed on a case-by-case basis.)
* All riders must be physically able to enter and exit vehicles with minimal assistance, or must have a responsible, able-bodied riding companion who can assist them.
* We do offer transportation for wheelchair seniors through Berrien Bus, please call the Center to reserve.
* Transportation is offered between 8:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., Mondays, Wednesday's and Friday's and until 2:30 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This means first pick-ups are scheduled for 8:00 a.m. and final pick-ups need to be by 12:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and 2:30 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Your appointment time should not be before 8:45 am, we have a lot of pick ups first thing is the morning and we can't guarantee we can have you to your destination before that time.
If the St. Joseph Public Schools are closed due to weather conditions, we are closed and will not be providing transportation. We will not call you, so please listen to the radio or television for cancellations. If Benton Harbor Schools are closed, Sr. Nutrition is closed and lunch will not be served at our Center.
* Appointments must be made through the Center's Front Desk, at 269-429-7768, and must be made 3 full Business Days ahead of the needed transportation date. (Business days are days that the Senior Center is open, M-F, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We are closed most holidays. Therefore, as example, Friday is not 3 business days before Monday, but rather Wednesday is. Monday at 3:45 p.m. is not 3 full business days before Wednesday morning.) Realizing that emergency medical situations can occur, these are taken into consideration on a case by case basis.
* Riders are not allowed to ask drivers to take them anywhere that has not been previously scheduled through the Front Desk.
* We provide round-trip transportation to just about any type of appointment -- with doctor appointments taking priority --- such as hair appointments, grocery store, Senior Center for lunch or activities, etc. We do not, however, transport home from surgical procedures that require anesthesia, regardless of whether your doctor says it is ok.
* We will call you the day before your appointment to confirm your pick-up time. We try to schedule pick-ups within one hour or less of any appointment time.
* Please be aware that riders need to be ready at least 15 minutes prior to assigned pick up time and drivers may be delayed up to 15 minutes past assigned pick up time.
* As common courtesy, riders should please call as soon as possible to cancel a ride. Repeated late cancellations may result in removal from transportation for a period of time.
* Drivers will do their best to make it as convenient as possible for you to board the vehicles, but if there is a safety issue, or an obstruction that would potentially damage the vehicle, you might be required to meet, or to disembark, the vehicle further away than you expected. Drivers will try to offer a "helping hand" but are not allowed to do more. Please be aware that, in wintertime, steps and driveways must be clear of snow and ice in order for you to be picked up.
* When your appointment is complete, you simply call the Center and as soon as a driver is available we will pick you up and return you to your residence. Sometimes you may have to wait until a driver becomes available and your patience is necessary.
* There is no fee for transportation services, but donations are greatly appreciated.
* There is no eating or drinking allowed on any of the vehicles.
* Please be responsible and check your seat before leaving the vehicle. Each vehicle has a plastic bag for trash so please do not leave trash on the seats or floor. Drivers do check for items at the end of their day, but if you forget or lose something, such as a cell phone or medications, we cannot always take the time to return it to you on the same day.
- As of 12-16-16